Wednesday, July 16, 2014

ISO lesson learned the hard way

This last weekend, Jill and I went on a drive with a dual purpose. First we went to Larned, Ks to pick up a limestone name rock for our front landscaping, secondly I wanted to do some Kansas landscape photography.   The first part of our trip was very successful, the rock we had ordered was better than we expected, and looks fantastic in our yard.  Now on to the return trip.  Looking at the map of Kansas and where we were off to, there were two places that I considered shooting at, Quivera and Cheyenne bottoms wetlands or the Gypsum hills.  I decided on the latter.  So leaving out of Larned to head south and west. We ended up not taking the fastest way to our starting point in the hills at Coldwater, but we made it eventually.  Then as we started down highway 160 towards Medicine Lodge I was starting to get disappointed that it wasn't as scenic as I anticipated. Needed some patience because we did eventually drive thru some of what I was hoping to see.  We pulled over 4 or 5 times take some shots, and looking at the camera before leaving it looked like I had got some good shots.  It wasn't until I got home and loaded them on the computer that I realized my mistake, I had forgot a very important setting, considering I was shooting in mid-day sun.  Leaving the ISO too high, all of my photos where pretty grainy. Still got a few good ones to share, even with the grains.



Apparently two filters and being as wide an angle as possible was not good with this lens...


Tried to recover this one with some photoshop techniques... still grainy


My first attempt at a panoramic stitching 6 photos together, while having the graininess I'm happy with the way it came together more or less. So I may have to go back and try around there again, and maybe be a little more adventurous and get off the main highway to get some other shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment